

So we survived. It has really taken me this long to post because we have been trying to catch up on sleep from the whole tonsil thing. The first night was great, I think he was still drugged from the surgery. The next night he scream all night long. It was the saddest thing I have ever experienced as a mom. I would not be able to survive a child with a terminal illness. He was in so much pain that he would run circles around his room screaming..slapping his face trying to get whatever was hurting him off. It was a long night of screaming. It is so sad when they don't understand why they are hurting. My approach was to just give him sympathy and hold him. Keith's approach saved our lives. He would explain to Logan that we knew his throat was hurting and then tell him that he was so brave to tough it out until it got better. Only Keith could get him to take his medicine. He seemed to relate much better with Logan than I did in this situation. I was so grateful because there was nothing I could do. As long as Logan had his daddy he was fine. It took the entire 10 days to heal. I think because we went to the zoo and the pool near the end, and that slowed the healing process because we weren't keeping him hydrated.
Since the surgery a couple things have changed.
1. I can't keep him full. He has a huge appetite. At his post appointment the Dr. said that when he would eat his tonsils were so big all food would gag him. Now that he has more room and doesn't get gagged-he wants to eat more.
2. Because of all the eating he seems so much heavier to me.
3. Much more energy.
4. I don't know if this is really related, but he is much louder. I think it comes with the extra energy. He screams at the top of his lungs all day.
5. His naps aren't as long. The Dr. said he can breathe better so he is getting better sleep at night, therefore not needing as much sleep during the day.
A couple days after the surgery we were sitting at the dinner table and out of the blue Logan said "I can breathe now." and continued eating his food. Sorry bud, we didn't know you couldn't breathe before. Now that all is said and done, I can't get him to quit wanting popsicles for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Sleep Deprived
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am glad things are good now. Logan and hannah are super cute. What a funny boy.
Post a Comment