The mom I was never going to be.

It is funny how everything changes when you have kids. I am amazed everyday at the things that I once thought were so important that really aren't. Growing up, it was so easy to judge the way moms raised their kids. I had it figured out...at least I thought. Here are just a few of my pathetic LONG list.


My kids faces were always going to be clean. Specifically noses.
Their hair was always going to be done.
Their clothes were always going to match.
They were never going wear dorky Mickey Mouse, Winnie the Pooh, or action figure clothes.
They were never going to sleep in my bed.
They were going to have 3 healthy meals a day.
I was going to be a "hot" mom, always dressed and ready for the day-never shop in my pj's, etc.




You know the list. Everyone had one, and maybe we still do. But here is one thing I have learned in my 3 short years of parenthood. As long as my kids are happy and healthy none of those things matter. I bought Logan a spiderman sweater that lights up for Christmas, and I couldn't wait for him to wear it. I gave both Logan and Dylan a bath this morning, and couldn't get their faces washed the rest of the day, at least they started clean...right?!? Logan had chicken nuggets for breakfast, after he got in bed with me at 5:30 when he heard his Daddy leave for work. I didn't comb Logan's hair after his bath, and Dylan's looked great after her first nap, after her second nap...not so much. I thought I was going to really care what I look like, and try to be that "hot" mom, but I read once that when you become a parent every time you walk past a mirror you look at your kids reflection and not your own. It is so true, I looked in the mirror at my own reflection twice today. When I got ready for the day, and when I just brushed my teeth for bed. I probably looked at Dylan's reflection 5 times today. She even left a bunch of fingerprints on my mirror in the kitchen (fingerprints was another thing on my long list-but after President Monson said I didn't need to worry about them so much because someday I would miss them, I am getting over it) Anyway, this doesn't sound like I thought it would in my head-I really try to be a good mom, (and I do get ready every day) But what I am trying to get at it is what was so important to me before I had kids is not at all what I want for them now. All I want for my kids is for them to know that I love them, and that their Heavenly Father loves them. That is really all I want/need to accomplish. I could have fought with Logan about having nuggets for breakfast, or just compensate and give him something better for lunch. I am definitely learning to pick my battles because almost always the things that I argue with Logan about are usually so pointless when you look at the big picture. So here is my new list.

I want my kids to know I have a testimony.
I want to always be able to feed my kids by being prepared and working on my food storage.
I want my kids to always be comfortable enough with me that if they feel insecure, sad, or scared they can still crawl in my bed-even as teenagers.
I want them to know that I care about my body by being a good example of eating and dressing appropriately, and working out. But I also want them to know that there is much more to life than what you look like.
I want to have no regrets, and always be a positive example for them.

There are alot more things on this second list as well, but I will spare those of you who have even made it this far. I want to be a good-patient mom, and am learning that patience is something that I need to always be conscious of. I sure love my kids, and want to do everything I can to provide a bright future for them. So here is to a new year, and a new list.

10 comments:

Jess's Journey to the Land Of Skinny said...

Great post Shasta! It really is all about living in the moment and taking the time to be there for your kids. I just have to remind myself of that every morning!

Josh and Ashley said...

Shasta you are the Mom I try to be!!!...ok other than my Mom. I admire your patience, creativity and positive attitude that you give in all aspects of your life, especially the Mother side of you. Thank you for your wonderful post and reminding me not to stress it's only a mess!

Ashley Abbott said...

Shasta I don't ever really see you be a mom, I just know the kind of mom I think you would be, and that is a great mom! I know exactly how you feel about all of those things. You're such a great person, I wouldn't think you would be anything less then a great mom!

Brittney said...

I loved reading this post. I totally had that action figure clothing on my list, but for Oaklee's 2nd Christmas I had bought her a bunch of Dora shirts because I knew that she would love them. It is funny how the focus changes from things that we love to things that they will love. You are a super great Mom and example to me. I really do miss you. You were the first ones to introduce yourselves to us when we moved into the ward. Now the ward has changed so much I hardly recognize anyone!!!

Chelsey said...

You put that into perfect words. Your kids are lucky to have you for a mom.

Lisa Moore said...

You are amazing! Logan, Dylan and Keith are so lucky. I hope the Lord will send you lots of kids!!

Chelsey said...

About Dylan's birthday cake! I would love to make it. let me know the theme for the party and size of cake(s)for Her and every one else, ect.. and I will make it. Norah's first birthday is at the end of March. I am making a cake with butterflies on it. E-mail me your address and phone # and I will invite you to the party. Our kids should be friends!cl_black@live.com

Contact: Ashley Mills said...

I really loved this post Shasta. I have that list going right now--I guess I need to be prepared to thow it out the window soon :)

Croslands said...

I think that we used to have the very same list! Oh how priorities change. And it's a good thing because your so right. The battles are different and so many of them don't matter.
Loved this post.

Simmons Family said...

You are so stinkin cute. This blog is just perfect. I miss you like crazy and wish your good nature was here to hang out with...crazy hair, shopping in your PJs with messy faced kids and all!